Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spaghetti Bake and Salad Discoveries

I love me some meatloaf but it's one of the few foods I don't really love to have leftover. Like who really wants meatloaf two nights in a row? Or fish? Or probably a lot of things if I really think about it now that I'm thinking about it...

In our house, leftover meatloaf always becomes the meat in the spaghetti meat sauce for night two. And last night it happened again, but in a more spaghetti bake casserole type of way. It was delicious!

Meatloaf Spaghetti Bake

1/2 lb. spaghetti, uncooked
Leftover meatloaf, cut into chunks
1 jar  (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1  egg, beaten
1-1/2 cups shredded cheese, divided
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 375°F.

Cook spaghetti as directed on package, omitting salt.

Drain spaghetti; place in large bowl. Add egg, 1 cup mozzarella and Parmesan; toss to coat. Place in 8-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with meat, spaghetti sauce and remaining mozzarella. Dash with more Parm.

Bake 15 min. or until heated through. Let stand 5 min. before cutting to serve.


Salad: Keepin' it Crunchy

I don't really think my salad findings deserve their own post, but because we do have a simple green salad just about every night with dinner, I've found a few simple ways to keep it interesting. I've been going thru my pantry to find anything other than croutons for that added crunch. I don't even like croutons that much -- unless they're on some super gourmet salad from some super gourmet restaurant. If anyone has a lead on good croutons you can buy in a store that don't taste like cardboard, I'd love to know... So far, my favorite salad toppings include chia seeds (for the health nut), french fried onions (for the anti-health nut), slivered almonds or nuts of any kind, and my new favorite: boxed seasoned stuffing mix! And even though the stuffing mix is kind of like a bunch of smaller cheap croutons that I should hate, it totally works because they're tiny croutons that give you a crunch without that big bite of cardboard. 

And that's my salad rant. The end.  

6 comments:

  1. Your spaghetti bake looks so good! And you may need to share you meatloaf recipe too, I've never made a meatloaf but I sure do like it! As for leftover fish, we usually make fish tacos. And one of your posts turned me onto chia seeds, they now go on my cereal every morning and in our salad at night. I also like adding pumpkin seeds to my salad and I will have to try boxed stuffing mix - that's a brilliant idea! Now where's the chocolate gelato shout-out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to do a post on home made croutons. I totally agree with you, Missy. Store bought taste like cardboard. Home made is the way to go! And I'm a pro at it so I'll post next month. I have never made a meatloaf! I also need a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh I will post a meatloaf recipe. Even tho I pretty much wing it every time. Good idea! I want that crouton recipe, please "Missyfi" it and it make it super easy. ;)

      Delete
  3. one year mba in india
    likewise like adding pumpkin seeds to my serving of mixed greens and I should attempt boxed stuffing blend - that is a splendid thought! Presently where's the chocolate gelato yell out? :

    ReplyDelete