Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Breakfast Post Part Deux: Megan's Huevos Rancheros

View of Quebec City from my porthole
If you recall in my last post, I talked about being in Quebec City.  This was a beautiful spot and we were able to take advantage of many things it had to offer:

Yes, those are Chocolatine's freshly baked.  Yes that is my ipod next to it because
I picked them up when I was on my run
Hungry for late night food? You should definitely have your chef make Poutine (this is a French Canadian speciality and is French Fries, Gravy, and Cheese Curds. Michelle made the ones below with Horseradish Cheese Curds):

Poutine!
The one thing Quebec City didn't have to offer is Mexican food. I left Hermosa Beach two and half years ago. When I left, I admit I had some not nice things to say about California. I know, crazy right? I mean I was a little tired of it taking forever to get to the bank, a million dollars a year in taxes no matter how much you make, and the shame in others eyes if you wore your sweat pants to the grocery store. However, the more I travel the more I love California. The irony is not lost people! I mean it has amazing National Parks, California Mexican Food (you might remember Emily's California Breakfast burrito), California Sushi, California Cuisine, the beach, the mountains, my family....you get the picture. I also found out a shocking piece of information. Are you ready? South Africa (where I'll traveling in, in November) doesn't have Mexican food. Can you imagine? I have been busy trying to help Michelle improve her Mexican portfolio. In my noble effort, I was able to come out with a serious winner. Beauties, you better be ready.  This may be made on every Beauty get together from now until eternity.

I have to admit, it is pretty cool to be in charge of finding the best produce, freshest fish & seafood, and the nicest cuts of meats in any new town. Again, my kudos goes out to Wisconsin. We hit up the most amazing meat market I have ever been to. It was this adorable market called Miesfield's. The morning I decided to make my new breakfast speciality, I hit the yacht freezer jackpot. Yes, that is right: I found a lone package of Miesfield's chorizo sausage. My inspiration was born. The best part about this meal is there is really no cooking involved, the hardest part is timing.

Megan's Huevos Rancheros

1 egg per serving
1 can black or red kidney beans - your preference
1 can enchilada sauce
1/2 of chorizo per serving, chopped
1 corn tortilla per serving (Michelle ate three, but she was unable to eat for almost a whole day after)
Shredded Cheese Blend
Vegetable Oil for frying the tortilla

You will also want all your Mexican condiments: Salsa, Sour Cream, Avocado/Guacamole, hot sauce, etc.

Turn your oven on to 350 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with foil.  Cook the chorizo, set aside.  Heat up the beans with the enchilada sauce in a sauce pan, set aside. Fry corn tortillas in vegetable oil until the tortilla is almost crispy. Pat dry the tortillas.  Place tortillas on cookie sheet.  Put cheese, chorizo, and beans on each tortilla.  Get the egg pan nice and hot and ready to go.  Put cookie sheet in oven.  Fry eggs per your preference.  Pull the cookie sheet out of the oven and top each tortilla with an egg.  Top with your favorite mexican condiments.  This of course goes perfect with Hashbrowns.
 


3 comments:

  1. This post has seriously left me craving Mexican food! And it would be easiest if you just came over and cooked me breakfast. Today. As in, right now.

    Where's the Washington love? We have no income tax, you can wear your sweats to the grocery store and no one cares, and most importantly your family and all your favorite girls are here! Done and done. Come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at horseradish cheese curds. And the huevos rancheros sound fantastic too. Thanks for offering to make those for us from now until eternity. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best things in the part of Canada where I live in is the rampant Mexican restaurant in our vicinity. I can always have burrito, tortillias, and Spanish omelletes for breakfast whenever I like. =)


    Violet Larson

    ReplyDelete